Sunday, July 21, 2013

Oil Painting the Figure and Face with Personality and Grace


Laurel…just another day
by Judy Takács



I’m getting excited about the oil painting workshop I will be teaching at BAYarts in conjunction with Chicks with Balls! And, I just confirmed this moments ago, Laurel (from the painting above) will be our figure model for the workshop.  Laurel is the one I had in mind when I came up with the words, “Personality and Grace”…she is a true pleasure to paint.

Oil Painting the Figure and Face
with Personality and Grace
 

A Two-day figure painting workshop with instructor Judy Takács
Saturday, August 24th and Sunday August 25th
Each day from 10:00 to 4:30
At BAYarts in Bay Village, Ohio
sign up at BAYarts.net


If you want to get in on all the wit, wisdom, fun and paint that comes along with talking to me about art and life, I'd love to meet you when you take this really special workshop. I will stress gesture and expression of the nude human form using a live model, along with focusing on the portrait aspect of figure painting. We will work on short oil sketches as preparation for a longer figure painting on canvas.

My demonstrations and workshops have generous doses of  “how to” as well as “why to”. Because I really like to get to know my students one at a time. After the workshop, I continue many of the friendships I have made with attendees through facebook and continued interaction in the Northeast Ohio art world. In other words, there is personal attention for those who seek it. Check out my website to see photos from past workshops and classes I have taught. 


This workshop is also special because, the Chicks with Balls paintings will be on exhibit right downstairs from the studio, so during lunch at Mojos café downstairs and on breaks, students can immerse themselves in these figurative portraits where I have done my darndest to capture the female form with boatloads of personality and hopefully some grace too!

And a note about my personal workshop philosophy. I teach very few workshops or classes, and try to come up with a fresh concept for each one…to keep it interesting for me as well as for you.  And I do not cancel them even if the enrollment is small. The reason for this, is that I am so thankful for the students that signed up, I want to reward them with a small and intimate class where everyone gets a great spot and lots of instructor attention. 




Nina is grace under fire by Judy Takács


Tentative Workshop Schedule:

Morning Day One… will begin with my quick and lively demonstration of spontaneous gestural oil sketches on paper, after which the students will do the same.

Afternoon Day One… the longer pose will start which the students will paint from for the remainder of the workshop. I will demonstrate my process for how to start this long pose on canvas, then the students will paint their own beginnings.

Day Two…  students will continue on the long pose on canvas. I will demonstrate the progression from painting values to augmenting with color during the day to lead the students into the final stages and details of the second day of this longer painting.

A supply list will be given when you signup at BAYarts.net. 

And I'll have my paint, so if you want to try a squirt of something before you buy, I'm happy to share.

Shoot me a quick email if you have questions about the workshop:
judytakacs@me.com 


I look forward to seeing you at the workshop
…or at the opening, Friday night August 9th from 7:00 to 9:00
…or at the gallery talk, Wednesday night August 14th at 7:00.
…or stop by to see the show at BAYarts from August 5th to August 30th. 

Gallery Hours: Monday through Saturday 9:00 to 5:00, Sunday 12:00 to 5:00


Make a day of it with lunch at Vento Trattoria next door, a trip to the BAYarts gift shop and a visit to see Rob Crombie’s amazing landscapes, displayed in the adjacent Diane Boldman Gallery. 


And if nature inspires you, you could take a hike in the Metroparks Huntington Reservation, just behind BAYarts or a visit to the Huntington Beach, just across the street from BAYarts. (really, its all walking distance at this beautiful and cozy, art and nature campus)

BAYarts
28795 Lake Road
Bay Village, Ohio
440 871 6543



Lexi defends and defines her path by Judy Takács

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Chicks! Love hearing from you!