Sunday, September 6, 2015

Tackling Leah Again

Leah’s Encore
by Judy Takács

You may remember my original Chicks portrait of Leah, who Runs, Bikes, Swims and Tackles…Paul.

So, if I already painted her, why did I paint her again?

Short answer; the first portrait (below) was bugging me and I had to do it!

Leah Runs, Bikes, Swims and Tackles…Paul
by Judy Takács
But, if you’ve been reading my blog, you may already know that I don’t give short answers. So, here’s the longer one.

Leah is sultry, sassy and gorgeous AND hysterically funny too…think Amy Schumer, only she’s hanging out with you, and not Jennifer Lawrence.

After laughing with her and Paul during the week our family spent with them at Cape Cod last summer, I came home to my now ancient-at-three-years-old painting of her, feeling that I had captured neither her beauty NOR her joy with any level of finesse. And, after further analysis, I also noticed this first portrait was a little too much “about the neck.” Make no mistake, I love a good neck and am happy render tendons within an inch of their lives, but, sometimes, in a very few special cases…I can go overboard.  Her neck was too long, her head wasn’t thrown back enough…and though her teeth were beautiful and white (she’s a professor of dental hygiene, so I couldn’t take shortcuts on the teeth)…her laughter had lost its sparkle.

Leah’s was one of my early Chicks portraits…from the days when I tried to accurately paint the spontaneity of laughter and often rendered the life out of it. Painting laughter is tricky, I’ve blogged about the challenges.

Also, now that the Chicks with Balls project has progressed well beyond its humble self-conscious beginnings, I’m finding more and more that I want to tackle the challenge of a double-image portrait; sometimes two heads are better than one to tell a complete story of soul. And in Leah’s case, the new and improved double portrait enabled me to show the bubbly joy and the quiet wistfulness that make her the compelling subject I’m proud to call my friend.

And, when I posted a tiny detail shot of Leah’s freshly painted eye, on instagram, it garnered more likes than any single image I had posted before. Nothing like public approval to make you confident about your decisions!

Take a quick look at my instagram!


Since it’s my second time tackling Leah Tackles Paul, I called this painting, Leah’s Encore. I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to show the first one along with the second one at the next Chicks with Balls show, but you’re all invited to the show to be surprised!



Mark your calendars, the Chicks are returning to Northeast Ohio!


Opening Reception:
Thursday night, October 29th from 6:00 to 8:30
Show dates October 29 through November 24th

Cuyahoga Community College Eastern Campus
Gallery East
4250 Richmond Road
Highland Hills, Ohio
Gallery East is the first building on the left when you enter the campus from Harvard Road.

Gallery Hours:
Monday through Thursday 10:30am to 3:30pm


And don't forget if you haven't already, give my new facebook page, Chicks with Balls: Judy Takács paints unsung female heroes…a quick "like"!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Chicks! Love hearing from you!