Wednesday, April 25, 2018

SECRETS…Revealed May 24th at the Artists Archives!



I’m thrilled to issue the official announcement and press release for my upcoming two-artist show at the Artists Archives of the Western Reserve in Cleveland, Ohio…just one month away!

SZALAY…TAKÁCS…SECRETS
Inaugural Exhibit featuring the works of archived artists, Judy Takács and the late Marilyn Szalay
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve, Cleveland, OhioOpening Reception: 
Thursday, May 24, 5:30 to 8:00
Show runs through July 14, 2018


Several years in the making, (or a lifetime, depending on when you started the clock) I am honored to be sharing my inaugural exhibit at the Artists Archives of the Western Reserve with the work of Cleveland’s late and legendary figure drawing master, Marilyn Szalay, who passed away in 2012.

SECRETS features new work from me, along with pieces from my Chicks with Balls project  my NUN project, my paintings of the elderly and work inspired by the passing of my parents and the family secrets I discovered subsequently.

I’m also excited that the exhibit will feature many never-before-exhibited charcoal masterpieces by the powerfully prolific, Marilyn Szalay. These pieces were chosen by Mindy Tousley, Executive Director of Artists Archives and myself, from the collection of her works lovingly cared for by her sister.

Why SECRETS? 

Art is full of secrets…secret meanings, symbolism, struggles and statements. Some secrets, in the case of Marilyn Szalay’s work…go to the grave with the artist, leaving curators and art historians to investigate, gather clues and put together assumptions. 

Some secrets, however, are readily explained by the artist…and an art historian, curator or critic need only read the artist's blog to find out the whats and the whys behind decisions and symbols. This is certainly true in my case; many of my secrets are in plain sight at chickswithballsjudytakacs.blogspot.com. But, even my blog is not a “tell-all confessional”…some secrets remain secret. 

One of my goals in showing my work with Lynn’s was to also create a Wikipedia page for her.

I spent the past few months putting this together, writing it in encyclopaedic format (no easy feat for me with my love of adjectives, superlatives and metaphors) and submitted it for approval…preparing to be put through a few months of back and forth with changes and corrections from Wikipedia’s judges and jury.

I submitted it at 9:00 in the morning a few Tuesdays ago and was shocked and thrilled that they accepted it by lunchtime that same day, Marilyn Szalay is officially part of art history now, with her own Wikipedia page. Her notability is obvious by the mark the has left on the figurative art world, so I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised one bit her page was approved so quickly.


If you haven't clicked on her name already or seen her work (below), check out Marilyn Szalay on Wikipedia here


Put May 24, 5:30 to 8:00 on your calendar for what I’m predicting will be a thoroughly satisfying celebration of figurative art in Northeast Ohio.

SZALAY…TAKÁCS…SECRETS


Hope to see you there!

Judy

Artists Archives of the Western Reserve
1834 E. 123rd Street
Cleveland, Ohio
artists archives.org
216 721-9020


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Chicks! Love hearing from you!